Rio de Janeiro stretches between beach and mountain, with colonial neighbourhoods, modernist style and that addictive sound that ties it all together: samba. Whether you want to watch the sunset over Arpoador, dance to live samba at a Centro bar, people-watch in Ipanema or enjoy a seafood feast, we show you how.
- Detailed Carnaval information gets you to the heart of the festivities.
- More than 150 mouth-watering restaurant reviews for all budgets, plus extensive nightlife options.
- Accommodation options for every style of travel.
- Best samba schools for beginners and the hottest samba clubs.
- Comprehensive coverage of every neighbourhood.
- Contains essential phrases but a Lonely Planet Latin American Spanish phrasebook is also recommended.
We know because we go: every Lonely Planet guide is 100% researched and updates by our authors on-the-ground